Push notifications are messages that mobile users receive, from apps that are installed on their devices. The messages are sent with the purpose of keeping users informed about offers, updates, reminders, etc, related to corresponding apps. The notifications are directly linked to the way an app functions and hence, carry a lot of importance.
Though the concept of push notification was introduced more than a decade back, by Blackberry, it is only since of late that several sophisticated features got included in push notifications. The notifications of contemporary times come with buttons, media, etc, and are customized as per the requirements/preferences of a given user.
Well, all that gives a very rosy picture of the push notifications. But when we delve in-depth into the matter, it’s seen that the aspect of these notifications is fairly tricky! It is imperative that the notifications are sent to app users and simultaneously, it must also be ensured that people are not bombarded with a barrage of these messages. A perfect balance has to be achieved!
The modern-day mobile users have their own likes and dislikes, with respect to push notifications. Now, it won’t be out of place to take a glimpse of points pertaining to the user preferences and reactions, regarding push notifications.
- Perhaps, the most striking aspect is that, if excess notifications are sent to users, it becomes the cause of their annoyance and makes them uninstall the concerned apps.
A study throws light on the vital finding that, about 50 percent of mobile users get extremely irritated with the notification messages. These people consider push notifications as things that disturb them.
- Likewise, the remaining half of users rate the notifications as being highly useful, for according to this group; these messages do key functionality of the apps.
- The generally observed pattern is that users have a favorable approach to push notifications that are fully tailored to their preferences. If a push notification message is inclusive of details such as user’s exact location, their favorite brand, etc, the notification has added appeal. Here, an app notification making a mention of the person’s name is significant, too.
- A substantial chunk of users attaches lot of relevance to the title of push notifications. If the title fails to catch their attention, it is very much possible that they delete the message even without reading it!
- People will not be hesitant to remove the app altogether if they frequently receive notifications. These excessive notifications could be related to timing like receiving them during odd hours like in the middle of the night! Alternatively, the users will be annoyed if receive the alerts and they view their device to notice some inconsequential alert or cross-sell that distracted them from other serious work.
So those are the crucial aspects of the users’ opinions on push notifications and, app makers must thoroughly understand them and use the push notification messages judiciously. No doubt, apps cannot refrain from sending these messages At the same time apps can’t afford to lose the users, as well. The solution for this is to arrive at an ideal equilibrium. This could be sending the notifications at right frequency, during appropriate timings of the day and most importantly about something meaningful to the user.